Measuring Safety Culture in Correlation with Safety Performance
When it comes to safety performance, culture matters. Organisational research shows that the attributes that distinguish high-performing organisations from mid- to low-level performers are identifiable, measurable and actionable. Our validated Organisational Culture Diagnostic Instrument (OCDI) helps you gain an accurate picture of these critical characteristics and use the results to design an effective change strategy.
Using a comprehensive methodology that applies web-based and/or hardcopy surveys along with focus groups, the OCDI measures a specific set of factors predictive of safety performance. Survey data are combined with data from interviews with organisational leaders, managers, and employees to assure a complete picture of current functioning and to help articulate the link between culture and the behaviour of individuals and workgroups. In this way, the OCDI gives you an impartial profile of your organisation’s culture and safety climate in sufficient detail for effective analysis and action.
OCDI – Features at a Glance
- The OCDI comprises nine distinct factors of organisational safety culture culled from 25 years of research that predict performance across business functions, including safety.
- OCDI data can be sorted to provide a diagnostic profile for individual parts of your organisation, including breakdown by job level or family, employment status/shift, and years worked in the organisation.
- The OCDI is administered in conjunction with focus groups and interviews with organisational leaders, managers, and employees to gather examples illustrating how your organisation’s culture influences the behaviour of individuals and workgroups.
- Over 2,200 sites have administered the OCDI. Your individual organisation’s diagnostic results are measured against this norms database to establish a percentile comparison.
- OCDI scores allow you to identify appropriate targets for improvement by providing an impartial perspective on the cultural strengths and challenges facing safety performance improvement efforts.
- Unlike other tools that simply survey perceptions, the OCDI highlights gaps in your culture that directly relate to safety outcomes.
Our transformational approach allows clients to evolve in terms of both their organisational safety culture and their operational environment. This enables them to reduce exposures and injuries, save lives, protect assets — and in the process, achieve higher performance.
The OCDI is a unique assessment tool that our experts employ with excellent results to transform your organisation´s culture. It establishes a detailed picture of the organisation’s safety culture and provides an impartial perspective on the cultural strengths and challenges facing safety performance improvements. In addition to benchmarking the current culture, organisations typically re-administer the OCDI at intervals of 18-24 months to track progress over time. On average, clients see more than a 20 point percentage gain across the nine factors targeted in the assessment after working with us.